Monday, November 21, 2011

Change of plans

Three hours time difference made me wake up long before my alarm clock went off on Sunday morning. Outside the motel room window I saw a few palm trees: Good morning, California! The 14 hour trip from DC to San Jose the day before was in the past. My wife and me were ready for ten days of sunshine.

For the coming night, we already booked a room beforehand. So our goal for the day was to reach a lodge in Sequioa and King's Canyon National Park, located in the Sierra Nevada. The park is famous for the giant sequioa trees, the largest in the world. I dreamed already a long time to spend a few days of hiking around the giants.

In the morning we went to a few shops in Gilroy to find some warm clothes to be prepared for the chilly forecast of 45F (7C) for the evening. We drove then along route 152 towards East along the Pacheco State Park and San Luis Reservoir. The views were amazing, very much different from anything I encountered so far. We saw lots of cattle on the hills and only a few farms. After a quick lunch in Los Banos we headed to Fresno and then along endless fields of olive and orange trees finally into the Sierra Nevada on the King's Canyon Road (route 180).

Driving up the mountain slopes the temperature dropped steadily towards the 34F (+1C) mark. We had about 60 km left to the lodge. After a while I noticed some strange white stuff next to the road, it was snow! Few minutes later it started to snow and at about 7000 feet the road was covered by snow and slippery. We stopped at a sign mentioning that tire snow chains are required from this point on. We still had about 40 km to drive and I wasn't sure what to do. Our tires were alright and I hoped we wouldn't have to go higher anymore.

Then a car came, passed us slowly and decided to turn around and park beside us. It was a park ranger who told us the road to our lodge was closed due to heavy snow. Only one other way to get us there (also with chains only). The problem with that one was that we were too late. It would take three hours detour and by then the roadwork would block already the way. Near the lodge, the temperature would be 20F (-6C) and more snow to come. We were not very keen to see more snow before returning to Finland, so had to change our plans.

We decided to take the rangers' tip to go to Visalia for one night. I phoned the lodge to explain our unusual situation, which we really couldn't know beforehand. The guy wasn't understanding at all. He said that they have a 48-hour cancellation policy and we would be charged the full amount. They'll never have me as a customer after that..

So I turned around to drive all the way back down. Then my wife said: "There is one!". I didn't get it and looked into the direction she pointed. There was one of the sequioa giants, I couldn't believe it! After parking the car I went through the snow to see it up-close. Man, it was big. If it wasn't for my wife I would have completely missed that moment, thank you!!

The rest of the day was only driving to Visalia, got a room, dinner and well, here I write. As disappointed I am about the giants, I can't say this day was boring.. :) We already have a new plan and I highly doubt it will include snow....

On the 152 towards Pacheco State Park

San Luis Reservoir

San Luis Reservoir

Autumn in California

More signs of autumn

California?

...

...

The Giant! I feel so tiny..

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Thanks for the pictures of my home state. Please blow a kiss to CA for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome. This state is worth even two kisses :)

    ReplyDelete