Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shorts in November

On Sunday night, our group had an international evening here at the Varsity’s game room. We enjoyed food, presentations and stories of Israel, Mexico, South Africa, Finland and Germany. My wife prepared some Finnish salmon rolls and fish roe on hapankorppu, I contributed with Kӓsspӓtzle. Naturally I tasted all other countries’ dishes, of which I couldn’t figure out a favourite.

The Indian summer reached a peak on Monday with unbelievable +24°C (75°F), it was time to wear shorts outside! My wife and I went for a walk to Lake Artemesia to see how the leaves had changed their color. On the way we saw some deer in the woods looking for food. They actually stood just a few meters from the path and clearly got used to being around humans. At the lake we saw autumn leaves in fantastic colors and the view was totally different compared to my last visit in September. The water was occupied by a few hundred wild geese on their way towards South. It was a beautiful sight and great to hear them chatting.

My wife’s teacher group had a reception in the town hall of College Park later that night. So the “plus one’s” (two other husbands from Singapore, 4 kids and me) decided to go to a local diner. Silver Diner is a small chain of restaurants using fresh and local food.  They even had organic ketchup on the table. The food was lovely and – apart from the cheese fries (yummy!) – very healthy indeed. I still can smell the last memory of the night, a “healthy” portion of one of the kids chocolate milkshake on my trousers. I should have worn my shorts...

International evening

International evening

Oh deer..

Lake Artemesia..

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment