Sunday, December 25, 2011

Creatures of habit

Coming home is always nice. After a long journey, my wife and I arrived on Wednesday. Six months ago I couldn’t imagine being for months in North America and a week before returning to Finland I felt a bit of melancholy leaving the States and our friends there. So naturally it was a bit odd to open the door and step into the ‘old life’. As for timing, Christmas seemed to me the best moment to go back home after being away that long. Santa’s helpers made sure we a warm house, the fridge with food and a Christmas tree in the back yard.

During the first 24 hours back in Finland I learned that I’m more a creature of habit than I would have thought. After some hours of sleep I woke up and made my way from the bed to the toilet. Familiar territory or so I thought. For starters I ran into the corner of the bed and then into a chair. But the biggest problem was flushing the toilet. No, not what you think, it did work fine. In the Varsity the flush lever was on the left side and needed to be pushed. So - out of habit and still very sleepy - I tried to push that lever at least five times. Then I started to realize I’m in Finland. So I tried other places, no luck. Then it dawned on me to turn on the light. Hooray, I found the lever and noticed that I actually have to pull this one.. Back to bed I went.

In the afternoon we picked up our cats. I should mention that I love driving cars. And still, I managed to stall the engine five times on the way because I got used to automatic gear without a clutch. Against the odds the cats got home safely..: )

So why am I writing all this on Christmas Eve/Day? Because I feel the need to express myself not using my voice. During all the time abroad I wasn’t sick a day and I’m thankful. Two days back home and my voice went on vacation, but a fever keeps me company.

So I’m stuck back home but hey, that’s why we have internet… Merry Christmas!

Christmas tree

No comments:

Post a Comment