Tuesday, December 20, 2011

...not (just) a place to sleep..

Right now is our last night in the Varsity, our home for the past months here in College Park. My wife and me are "playing" Tetris, trying to fit all our stuff into the luggage. The kindergarten kids in the apartments above us have a big party with disco music, shouting, jumping and running. It is 2.55am on Tuesday "morning" and our multiple complaints did not make any difference. We called the lobby, of course only the answering machine spoke to us with very inspiring words (you can listen to them below... :).

A week ago my wife and me went for a walk through the College Park neighborhood. We found a street called Fraternity Row. Alpha Kappa Omega, Phi Kappa Tau, etc. I felt like in a movie because I only have seen and heard about these fraternities in US high school movies. Yes, I used to watch those back in the days. I hoped for some secretive action against a neighbor or maybe see some ambitious newcomers to perform some silly test for membership. Unfortunately nothing was happening this time, perhaps it isn't all like in the movies.

The experience here in the US for my wife's group with people from South Africa, Singapore, Morocco, Mexico, Israel, India, Argentina and Finland is coming to an end. But this is not goodbye to new-found friends, we only say "See you". On graduation day with many emotional moments it was more clear than ever that this was a very special journey for all. I enjoyed very much to get to know many different persons and discuss about basically everything. It has given me a lot to think about in the weeks and months to come.

Graduation Day

Fraternity...

...row

Which one to choose..?

Call the lobby:

No comments:

Post a Comment